Social Icons

Saturday, May 18, 2013

What's In a Pic?




It's been what,  like almost 13 years since I passed my 10th grade. 13 long years.Seems like eons away. And after that it's been like college, another college, work, marriage, friends, other friends, more friends and so on. And we grow old. Well, 28 is kind of old when compared to 15. And with an increase in age our memory decreases slowly, slowly and slowly. New faces overlap the old ones. And except for our best friends, our neighbors  and the most popular kid in school, the chances of remembering  each and every person who has studied with us is practically nil. And it doesn't help if the school you studied had quite a big student population.

And so, all of a sudden,and after more than a decade, you suddenly get a friend request in FB. The name is quite common. It can be your Priya, Tina, Anjali, Riya, anything. From your common friends you can make out this particular person was your school mate. But the problem lies in the fact that the name does not have a face to it. Well Priya may have a display pic of a puppy, Tina might be Kate Winslet, and Anjali will be nothing but the evening sun above the sea. And here, the display pic was tweety. No more pics in the album, as privacy settings are quite high.

Ok. So, I respect your privacy madam. But, I am not in the habit of adding strangers to my list. So in all politeness , I ask.."I am sorry, kind of lost here. Can't really make out who you are. Please help" ( Smiley added at the end for a friendly feel).

And then comes the reply "What, you don't remember me? Really? I am hurt".

That's it. No indication as of who she is still.  I know she is not my best friend. Not my close friend. I don't think not even someone who qualifies as a friend. If that were the case, she would have been already in my list. So, how am I to make out from a pic of tweety, who that person is? I am quite sure tweety didn't study with me.

Well I replied." No, I don't. Will be helpful if you put up your pic".

No replies. It's been more than 2 weeks. I haven't accepted or declined her request. It stands like that. But tweety has changed to a phrase which goes something like " True Friends are Rare".

Seriously? Lady, put a face to that name. I might get you.

And please forgive me for not recognizing you, as I am getting old, my limbs are weakening, my vision is blurring and my memory is fading.

Maybe I should have one of those memory boosting drinks and tonics that they show in the advertisements!!!

so long
chitz...



2 comments:

  1. You did the right thing Chithira. Such requests can be fake, if the person is really your friend than he/she must not hesitate to identify themselves.

    Some times it also happens that you had a class fellow but you had hardly talked to them during your school, such friends end up in Acquaintances list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always safer to talk to the person (if not on phone, at least via mail) and make sure that its the right person. You can always bring up some old incidence and see of he/she remembers it. There are many pranksters who make fake IDs and ask for "friendship"

    ReplyDelete