Social Icons

Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Reality Check....

today,it feels like a calm after a storm...my whole house which was buzzing with people and activity yesterday seems to have slept off..the good part is i am free...and have time of my own,in the daytime..not at the unearthly hours of the night.....

yesterday's celebrations took its toll on me finally.Seems like i had pushed the "accelerator' too hard preparing for the celebrations,that i finally broke down and went off to a looong sleep..got up early and off to bed again..was suddenly woken up at sometime of the day by the sound of the calling bell,which seemed very unearthly to me at that moment .

Cursing the person who invented the calling bell,i went off to open the door only to find my maid who was absconding for the past few days..before i could open my mouth to say anything,she greeted me with a string of 'coughs'..and not fake ones too...well,my mouth shut itself..at least it is sensible sometimes...

the later events and conversations that followed found myself asking my maid for any help she needed,when she very shyly(she has got pride,all rite) asked me for a 200 rupees extra in her salary for the month..so that she could afford the extra cost of treatment,X-ray and medicines for 3 people in her family excluding herself...that means her whole family is ill!!!

Too bad..that's when i found myself thinking about
money...
its worth...
how i spent it...
and how people really need it...
The day just before,i had spent a considerable amount on party and celebrations .
And here is someone in front of me..who doesn't even have one-tenth of it...

My" i will kill u because you woke me up from my precious sleep" attitude had vanished somewhere..
My maid had given me a reality check...
She prompted me to
think...
to stop complaining..
and to be happy with what you have...

because there may b many people above you who spent lakhs on just designer bags and shoes..and make you go like "aww God..how lucky they are"..
but there are a zillion people below you...who dosent even have the means of having a square meal a day.....

Dont wait for another new year to make a resolution...
The time is always right...
Even if it is in a small way ,try to make a difference in the world..
Reach out to people...
Put forward a helping hand....

Because as said by a great soul...

"Hands that help,are holier than the lips that pray"...




And they truly are...

Image courtsey: www.empirecares.com

5 comments:

  1. Good write up - I liked the crux of it - especially "Hands are help,are holier than the lips that pray"

    Cheers,
    Ambuj :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.That is good post showing the compassion and the kind heart of the author.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments
    kpartha12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice.

    i read loads of ur posts n they r gud!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ambuj,kp &vikas: thankx 4 ur comments..do keep ur valuble comments coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cannot agree more with this post. 100% true and well written.

    ReplyDelete